Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search Products
Filter by Categories
Company Secretarial
General Business
General Interest
Investing in Property
Personal Growth
Personal Wealth
Trusts and Estate Planning

Oh dear! What is SARS thinking?

In the good old days, we had to appoint a Public Officer for each company. That was the person who was to be responsible for submitting the tax returns and responding to SARS’ correspondence.

Then suddenly, in about March 2021, we found that we were unable to submit certain returns or get a Tax Clearance for our newer companies, because there was no “Representative” appointed.

So what happened to the Public Officer? If you check out SARS’ document “Enhancements for Tax Practitioners and representatives” you will see that they refer to “the Public Officer/representative”. But clearly they are not one and the same, else why would we have to register a representative?

But there’s a clue here:

It seems that if you are the Public Officer, you can also be the representative.

Note from the above list, that the main member or accounting officer of a CC can be the Registered Representative, but what about a director or Shareholder of a company?

Confused? Me too! No wonder it took my staff a few months to figure out how to appoint a representative.


XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Need help with your Trust or Business?

Contact us today or set up a free meeting with our CEO, Derek Springett. We have been offering expert advice and business services since 1971. You can also visit our online store to see our full list of services.

If you enjoyed this article, you may like to subscribe to the monthly round up featuring all of my latest articles. Then check out the two books I have written which have proved to be very popular.

Complete the form below to subscribe to my monthly round up.