Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search Posts
Search in pages
Search Products
Filter by Categories
Company Secretarial
General Business
General Interest
Investing in Property
Personal Growth
Personal Wealth
Trusts and Estate Planning

Once upon a time, you could sell the shares in a company that owned fixed property and only pay Securities Transfer Tax (1/4%). Then in December 2002 it all changed.

That was a long time ago, but many people still don’t understand the full implications, so here they are –

A Residential Property Company is one in which more than 50% of it’s assets are residential properties.

If shares in that company are sold, then the shares are treated as fixed property and the sale attracts Transfer Duty, not on the value of the shares, but on the value of the property that they represent (that is, ignoring any liabilities). The rates of Transfer Duty are 


 It is the purchaser who pays the Transfer Duty, whilst the seller pays any Capital Gains Tax. Securities Transfer Tax is not payable under these circumstances.

This only applies to residential property and not to commercial property.

Need help with your Trust or Buisness?

Contact us today or set up a free meeting with our CEO, Derek Springett. We have been offering expert advice and business services since 1971. You can also visit our online store to see our full list of services.