When did you last look critically at your website?
Think about how often you base a decision to buy upon a website or facebook page.
You’re on holiday and need to choose a restaurant. You search and find several alternatives. From what you see, you decide which one you fancy and book a table.
You need a plumber. You search and find several alternatives. From what you see, you decide which one you can rely on and make a call.
You want to buy a gift on line. You search and find several alternatives. From what you see, you decide which one to buy and from whom.
What are the negatives that lead you to close a particular site and move on to the next?
- Difficulties in navigation.
- Spelling and grammatical errors.
- Upcoming events, that actually came up about a year ago.
- Blogs that are simply sales pitches.
- Cluttered content with mixed fonts, or too small to read easily.
- Sites that don’t adapt properly to mobile phone presentation.
- Flashing messages or rapid ribbons, both of which distract you from your search.
- Pages that can’t be found – 404s.
- And many, many more.
So, visit your website frequently. Try to see it through other peoples’ eyes. What impression does it give? Is it a fair reflection of your business?